Riverdale Mills was established in 1892, on Bridge Street in Great Barrington. It originally manufactured quilts and towels. At its peak, the business employed 175 workers operating nearly 150 looms. For about a decade, in the early 1900s, it was known as the Edgemere Mill. About 1917, the business was reorganized as Great Barrington Manufacturing Company.
The vintage painting of the facility, shown above, was created by noted artist Gene Klebe, and is on exhibit at the Great Barrington Historical Society Museum. For decades the mill manufactured cotton goods such as sheets, pillowcases, and bedspreads. When the plant closed, in 1963, it was the last remaining textile mill in South Berkshire.
New England Log Homes moved onto the property in 1971 and closed in the 1990s, leaving behind toxic wood preservatives that contaminated the site. Following a decades-long cleanup, affordable housing known as the Bentley Apartments is scheduled to open soon.