Lenox — Tanglewood Learning Institute director Sue Elliott understands the importance of curiosity to all kinds of learning. “TLI’s defining quality,” she explains, “is curiosity — curiosity in our work and inspiring curiosity in our participants.” This, it would seem, is why “Unleash your curiosity” appears prominently on TLI’s home page. It’s Elliott’s mantra.
Since 1937, Tanglewood’s traditional concert schedule has constituted the festival’s fundamental offering. But everything changed when Tanglewood’s new Linde Center opened last spring and TLI’s inaugural season commenced. By summer’s end, TLI events had attracted more than 14,000 visitors to the Tanglewood campus.
The breadth of TLI’s programming is staggering (which you will see for yourself in a few seconds). And it doesn’t end on Labor Day, because the Linde Center is a year-round facility. Yes, Tanglewood now has a fall/winter/spring schedule.
With the second summer of TLI programming coming up in just 200 days or so, it’s the perfect time to nibble (binge?) on party food and peruse TLI’s summer schedule (not to mention the 2020 Tanglewood summer schedule). There’s a lot to take in, so, without further superfluous punctuation, here’s a very brief recap of summer events at the Tanglewood Learning Institute.
- Three TLI WEEKENDS Amplifying Major Programmatic Highpoints of the 2020 Tanglewood Season: Beethoven Weekend (July 17–19), Violinist Isaac Stern @ 100 Weekend (July 24–26), and Film Weekend (Aug. 14–16)
- THE BIG IDEA Spotlighting Three Dynamic Thinkers Discussing Ideas of Our Times: Oscar-Winning Film and Television Costume Designer Ruth Carter (July 18), Speaker TBD (July 25), and Broadcast Journalist Soledad O’Brien (Aug. 15)
- FULL TILT Offering Bold, Unconventional Experiences with Artists at Culture’s Forefront: Samuel Beckett’s Quad and Related Films (July 5), Meow Meow Pandemonium (July 8), and Author M.T. Anderson with Musical Curation by Stephen Drury (July 27)
- TLI-TMC OPENSTUDIO Offering an Insider’s Look at Master Classes Led by Today’s Leading Performers: Pianist and 2020 Koussevitzky Artist Paul Lewis (July 13), BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons (July 14), Piano Trio Class Led by Emanuel Ax and Yo-Yo Ma (July 24)
- TLI OPENFORUM Featuring Scholars and Artists in Multidisciplinary Wednesday Morning Programs Exploring Topics Touching on Music: The Roaring Twenties (July 1), Common Ground (July 15), Life & Time (July 29), and The Romantic Spirit (Aug. 12)
- MEET THE MAKERS Presenting Major Creators Sharing the Inspiration Behind Their Craft: Poet Rita Dove and Composer Richard Danielpour (July 30)
- CINEMATICS Exploring the Relationship Between Music, Film, and the Human Spirit in Collaboration with the Berkshire International Film Festival (Sunday Screenings July 12–Aug. 23)
- SHOPTALKS Highlighting Major Artists of the Season in Conversation About Their Lives in the Arts (Thursdays, Beginning July 2)
- FOCAL POINT Presenting Weekly Saturday Workshops for Amateur Visual Artists in Collaboration with IS183 Art School of the Berkshires (Beginning July 11)
- STRING QUARTET MASTERPASS Offering an 8-Day Musical Adventure with the Juilliard String Quartet and Fellows and Faculty of the Tanglewood Music Center (June 21–28)
- TLI PRESENTS ONE DAY UNIVERSITY Featuring Award-Winning Professors from Three Renowned Schools Lecturing at Ozawa Hall (Aug. 23)
* * * * *
Tickets to the summer season of Tanglewood Learning Institute programs, along with tickets to the entire Tanglewood season, go on sale to the public Feb. 9 at www.tanglewood.org and at (888) 266-1200.