The prestigious Van Schaack house is located in the heart of historic Kinderhook Village. It was built in 1785 and later expanded in the mid 19th century to create an interior of grand scale with lavish architectural detail. The current owner, through many years, has treated this fine early home with great care and respect, and has made it into a home that exudes both comfort and a sense of its history. It is sited on 1.4 acres in a prime location in this desirable community, and includes a spacious, detached 2-car garage and a workshop. It’s just a short walk to the village center. A property of quality and distinction – highly recommended.
What’s the most compelling thing about this property?
The most compelling thing about the Van Schaack house is its fascinating history. This is one of the early grand post-Revolutionary houses, built in Kinderhook village in 1785. Located on Broad Street, the main road from the south into the village center, and flanked by other major landmarks, such as the Burgoyne and Benedict Arnold houses, the Van Schaack house is highly visible yet sits well back from the road in a park-like setting.
For whom is this house perfect?
This house would appeal to both the enthusiast of antique and historic properties, and a large family that needs plenty of living space. With nearly 7000 sq feet and three floors, there is ample room for all kinds of activities. Much period interior detail is intact, which makes the perfect setting for a collection of period antiques, Federal furniture, and artwork. The spacious eat-in kitchen is sleek and modern and would definitely appeal to today’s buyer.
What’s the fun thing to do within five miles of this house?
This house is just a few steps from the main village square where the excellent Farmer’s Market is held throughout the summer season — a great place to meet the neighbors, socialize and buy superb produce, baked goods, and flowers. The School Art Center is just across the street, and top-of-the-line art events and exhibitions are held in this incredible building. This has become a very popular landmark and has added greatly to the vibrancy of current-day life in Kinderhook village.
If this house could talk, what secret would it tell about its history?
The house could tell you the interesting story of James Mix, Jr., who owned it in the mid-19th century. Mix was Albany’s leading silversmith at the time. He purchased the house in 1865 and added the mansard roof level, thus creating considerably more living space. This additional space is used by the current owners as a self contained apartment.
The Kinderhook Group
38 South Front Street