Posted on September 14, 2017
|Job Status:||Part Time|
|Job Location:||Stockbridge, MA|
|Company Name:||Berkshire Botanical Garden|
|Category:||Education / Training / Schools|
Berkshire Botanical Garden is seeking a highly-motivated educator to join its education staff. The Education Coordinator is responsible for coordinating, developing curriculum, and teaching the education program in subject areas related to gardening, environmental science, and agriculture, primarily for children ages preschool to middle school. The programs happen at BBG, in area schools, and at other off-site locations to individuals of all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As a member of the BBG education staff, actively promote and support the mission of BBG, its members, visitors, and collaborators.
- Coordinate and teach the Farm and Garden after-school program at area schools.
- Organize family programming for BBG visitors during the open season one to two days a week.
- Identify and meet all student needs to the best of your ability, and serve as a role model for the students and your peers.
- Maintain a good relationship with other teachers, organizations, and school administrators.
- Plan and care for the Children’s Discovery Garden.
- Engage volunteers and other staff in education programs as needed.
- Assist with BBG special events including Harvest Festival, Plant Sale, Holiday Marketplace, Grow Show, and garden tours.
- Other duties as assigned by your supervisors.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Previous experience working with children is required.
- At minimum, completion of a four-year degree in a related field is required.
- Previous experience in outdoor or experiential education is highly desired.
- A proven ability to plan programs and conduct activities.
- A willingness to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively.
- Experience with gardening, farming, and cooking are preferred.
- Must be highly responsible, self-motivated, flexible, and capable of working outside all day.
- Must have an abundance of patience as well as a good sense of humor and strong work ethic.
- Must be able to successfully pass a CORI and SORI background check.
- Must be physically able to work outside all day and lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Must have reliable transportation, a clean driving record, and have had a driver’s license for a minimum of three consecutive years.
BENEFITS & SALARY
- Work on a devoted team of educators who share a passion of environmental education and a love of plants.
- Free enrollment in BBG adult community classes and workshops, plus other opportunities for professional development.
- A benefits package including paid time off, sick leave, and health insurance.
- Salary of $15-$16/hour, non-exempt, depending on experience.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Chris Wellens, Director of Education, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.