Great Barrington firefighters extinguish blaze at Housatonic home

More Info
By Saturday, Dec 16 News
David Scribner
Ladder 1 of the Great Barrington Fire Department lifts firefighters to the roof of a house at 217 Highland St. in Housatonic where a fire had started in the chimney and spread to the roof.

Housatonic — Chief Charles Burger reports that the Great Barrington Fire Department extinguished a house fire in Housatonic this afternoon.

Great Barrington Firefighters made an aggressive attack in order to limit damage to the home’s roof and attic. (Courtesy Photo)

At approximately 2 p.m. on Friday (December 15) the Great Barrington Fire Department received a report of a possible structure fire on 217 Highland St. Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy smoke coming from the roof of the two-and-a-half story single family home and immediately requested a second alarm.

Firefighters also determined that the family was home at the time of the fire but was able to evacuate safely.

Engines 3 and 4 arrived and immediately stretched a hose line to the home’s third floor, while Ladder 1 extended its ladder above the home’s slate roof, allowing firefighters to continue their aggressive attack. The fire spread into the home sheathing, but was quickly brought under control as firefighters took extreme care to minimize water damage to the home’s lower floors.

Firefighters attacking the fire which had broken through the roof. Photo: David Scribner

“It’s always heartbreaking to see a family forced from their home by a fire, especially when it happens so close to the holidays,” Chief Burger said. “However, it’s extremely fortunate that everyone was able to get out of the home safely. I’m proud of our firefighters’ excellent work today, which prevented the home from being lost entirely.”

The home’s roof sustained significant damage, and the house was deemed temporarily uninhabitable. The residents declined assistance from the Red Cross and sought shelter with family members. No firefighters were injured during the incident.

Following a preliminary investigation, it’s believed that the fire originated in a wood stove chimney.

Several area departments provided mutual aid. (Courtesy Photo)

Chief Burger would like to thank the Sheffield Fire Department, Great Barrington Police Department, Southern Berkshire Ambulance and the Monterey Fire Department for their assistance on scene, as well as the Egremont and Stockbridge Fire Departments for their support covering Great Barrington’s fire station.


Return Home

What's your opinion?

We welcome your comments and appreciate your respect for others. We kindly ask you to keep your comments as civil and focused as possible. If this is your first time leaving a comment on our website we will send you an email confirmation to validate your identity.

News Brief: Pignatelli urges real legislative action on opioid epidemic

Thursday, Jan 18 - ' ... we cannot wait for studies and commissions to repeat findings of scientific literature that already exist when we could be actively utilizing effective research-based tools to decrease the circulation of prescription opiates in the market and improve the scope of substance abuse treatments in our communities.' --Rep William 'Smitty' Pignatelli, D-Lenox

Mercedes Gallagher, 63, of Becket

Wednesday, Jan 17 - Mercedes was the director of the Center Pond Weed Project in Becket, overseeing the removal of the invasive aquatic milfoil weed without the application of chemicals.

‘Sister event’ to Women’s March planned in Pittsfield

Tuesday, Jan 16 - On the one-year anniversary of the iconic movement, Indivisible Pittsfield has organized another sister event to this year's march – what it calls a "March into Action Resource Fair and Community Forum" at the Colonial Theatre on South Street.